18 August 2009

Illustration Friday - Wrapped



'Wrapped'


This piece was a complete experiment - I was a bit stumped by the prompt this week and really wanted to try something different. I eventually decided to make an ink and plastic wrap (cling film, saran wrap, whatever you like to call it) print for this week's IF prompt of 'Wrapped'. I merrily washed on watercolours and dropped ink, sprayed with water and then manipulated a sheet of plastic wrap over the pools of colour on the paper. When dry I tried looking for something in the resulting print to link to the word 'wrapped'. Oh boy ... I started doing this on Sunday morning and discarded more than 20 different prints. Nothing, no matter how hard I looked, presented itself!

Until... Eureka! This afternoon I finally spotted something. Yep, there was a little shrouded figure and then another and look one more! I then began to work into them a little with Inktense pencils and acrylic ink to make them come to life - I really hope you can see them too!

It was fun to do - quite messy - my fingers are stained a rainbow!



Here's a close-up, but to see more clearly click on the images for a larger version.

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful, seems very Biblical.I can also see an angel flying and transporting the shrouded lady in the far 1/3 right panel. All those gradations, textures and folds are really moody & nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saw shrouded figures and I also saw the flying angel carrying the figures. This is really beautiful! I love the colors and textures!! Well done!!! :) Silke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE THIS! This is very beautiful! What a delightful surprise the outcome is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very unusual and vibrant result. I admire your persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see them too! The colors and the texture came out great, as well, really lovely, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, caroline, there's something both mystical and religious about this. you obviously 'see.'
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. the results are outstanding. yes biblical, now if it were an atc you know what i'd say.....wow it's a wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the figures immediately. Beautiful and inventive, Caroline. Watch out it isn't declared a miracle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I would love to try that technique sometime. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I see wrapped figures walking along....very cool !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely - great intensity of colours and so many patterns & textures. I can understand how this was great fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. People like you should be commended for thinking of new ways to display color and texture. This is a wonderful experiment, and the colors and texture are gorgeous. That blue is so inviting on these hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. People like you should be commended for thinking of new ways to display color and texture. This is a wonderful experiment, and the colors and texture are gorgeous. That blue is so inviting on these hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I see several figures! How beautiful and magical, Caroline! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caroline you are so inventive. I would only think of wrapping paper if I had to do that.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is as everyone has already said, " Beautiful and very inspirational too! I really love the beautiful blues and greenblue. They are so wonderful and I really like you style. Thanks so much for stopping by. I really appreciate it. thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Such a unexpected surprised experimental masterpiece!
    It should be display in art gallery and art museum!
    You are so clever Caroline, baby Jesus is well wrapped.
    Mother Mary and Daddy also here.
    I can't want to see the real piece, if only I have the privilege.

    Are we still meeting up? I had replied your emial yesterday Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool!!! I'm so glad you dropped by my blog, because now I know about yours. I LOVE your artwork and wonderful posts. The colors in this "wrap" art are gorgeous--worth the blue hands!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for passing by. I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin